My Favorite Blessings

My Favorite Blessings

Monday, March 31, 2008

Noah's Pirate Party


Noah's birthday was Saturday and it was a day filled with pirates and pillage! Grandma, Papa and the Aunties brought over the traditional birthday breakfast of doughnuts to start the day. On their birthdays, my kids get to choose everything ~ what we do, what we eat, where we go. After breakfast Noah said that he wanted everybody to "just hang out in his room". So we all sat on his bed and colored pirate pictures and even made a pirate hat for Blue Bear, to match Noah's.

He would probably have been happy to hang out there all day. For lunch we had hot dogs made into pirate ships, goldfish crackers, cucumber, celery and carrot swords and bloody grog. Earlier he had said that he wanted to go to the library for his day, which worked out great because they were having some special exhibit about Abraham Lincoln (what homeschool mom doesn't love it when you can combine Saturday birthday activities with a teaching field trip?) But he decided that he didn't want to go to the library after all so Abe Lincoln will have to wait. We did go see Horton Hears a Who. Great movie!! Excellent moral lessons (I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. A person's a person, no matter how small) and good clean humor.

After the movie, we all tried to convince Noah to go out to eat at our favorite Mexican restaurant but he would not hear of it. He said, "No, I think I will just go home and probably have a working sandwich (which he what he calls turkey and cheese). The other kids were not at all happy with his decision but he stuck by it and home we went for sandwiches!

That night we had everyone over for presents and a treasure chest cake. (Thanks to Family Fun, I am on a roll with three successful birthday cakes so far this year. Those of you who have been party to my other cakes understand the significance of this.) He got lots of school books for his birthday. Yeah!! A trip to a farm, complete with a horse ride, working gloves because he loves to work in the yard, and two pet dwarf frogs that he has named Froggy and Toto.

1 comment:

Teri said...

I love the party. The cake is too cute...and so is Noah. Happy Birthday! Kresta I miss you.